Pretoria is a city that has been growing and developing at a fast pace. People have been improving their lives here by going to boarding schools in Pretoria. With the popularity of summer camps, parents are looking for schools with a more personalized touch, with activities for each student and teachers who understand that each child is unique.
History of Boarding Schools in Pretoria
Boarding schools in Pretoria were started by the Dutch Reformed Church in the early 1800s. The church saw boarding schools as a way to provide boys with education and develop character. The first boarding school in Pretoria was called Pretoria Boys’ School. It opened in 1825 and was run by the Dutch Reformed Church. Over time, other boarding schools opened, including a girls’ school.
Today, more than eight boarding schools are operating in Pretoria. These schools offer both primary and secondary education for students from around the world. Boarding school education is expensive, but it offers some advantages that other forms of schooling don’t have, such as a close relationship between students and teachers
Benefits of Studying in Boarding Schools in Pretoria
- Growth in critical thinking skills
- Exposure to different cultures and lifestyles
- Unique educational opportunities
- Enhanced socializing opportunities with classmates
- Excellent facilities and resources
- Extensive extracurricular activities
- Friendly and supportive staff
Eligible Criteria to Get Admission into Boarding Schools in Pretoria
To get admission into boarding schools in Pretoria, you will need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be a South African citizen or have permanent resident status.
- You must be residing in South Africa.
- You must have a valid school certificate from your home country.
- Your parents or legal guardians must also have a valid school certificate from your home country.
Tips for Choosing Boarding Schools in Pretoria
- Do your research. Boarding schools in Pretoria can be expensive, so it’s important to choose one that will provide a quality education for your child. Compare tuition rates, amenities, and teacher-to-student ratios before making a decision.
- Consider your child’s personality and interests. Some children thrive in an environment where they are constantly moving; others need more structure. Also, consider whether your child is an introvert or an extrovert.
- Ask around. Friends and family members can often give you valuable insight into which boarding schools would be best for your child. Additionally, online resources such as The top 10 boarding schools in South Africa can help you compare different options more easily.
- Be realistic about what your child can realistically achieve in a boarding school setting. Some students excel in a board school environment while others do not; don’t expect miracles just because your child is attending one of these institutions. Letting the admissions committee know what academic goals your child has set for himself or herself.
Top Boarding Schools in Pretoria
Sutherland School is a boarding school for boys located in Pretoria, South Africa. Established in 1919, Sutherland School is one of the oldest and most prestigious boarding schools in South Africa. The school has a rich history and tradition that sets it apart from other schools in the country.
The school offers an excellent education with a strong focus on sports and outdoor activities. The students can participate in a wide variety of athletic and extracurricular activities, which helps them develop skills that will help them succeed in life. Sutherland School also offers international opportunities for its students through trips to different countries around the world.
St Michael’s School
St Michael’s School is one of the oldest boarding schools in Pretoria, and it offers a highly individualized educational experience for students from all over the world. The school has a rich history, and it is known for its strong academics and its exceptional athletic facilities.
Students can choose from a wide range of courses, and they can also participate in a variety of extracurricular activities. St Michael’s School is an excellent choice for students who want to learn in an atmosphere that is both academically challenging and socially supportive.
Sacred Heart College
Sacred Heart College is a Catholic boarding school in Pretoria, South Africa. The college offers both traditional and co-educational programs. Sacred Heart has a strong tradition of teaching and learning, and aims to provide a challenging education that prepares students for university and the world beyond.
The college was founded in 1906 by the Sisters of Mercy, and today remains an independent, co-educational institution with a strong Catholic tradition. Students at Sacred Heart come from all parts of South Africa and around the world and enjoy a broad range of sports, cultural activities, and community service opportunities.
Laerskool Overvaal is a boarding school for boys in Pretoria, South Africa. It was founded in 1939 by Reverend C. H. Pienaar and is one of the oldest schools in the country. The school has a strong tradition of rugby and athletics, and currently has over 350 students from around the world attending its various campuses.
The school offers an international baccalaureate program with options in English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian. Students are also able to study a range of other courses including music, art, journalism, commerce, and law. Laerskool Overvaal also participates in a wide range of co-curricular activities including rugby, cricket, tennis, and martial arts.
Indian Springs School
Indian Springs School is an independent, coeducational day school for students in preschool through grade twelve. The campus is situated in the city of Pretoria, just minutes from the heart of the capital city. Indian Springs offers a unique program that emphasizes personalized education and community service.
In addition to traditional subjects, Indian Springs students learn about South Africa’s culture and history. Students are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities, such as drama and music groups. Interscholastic sports are also offered, including rugby, cricket, soccer, tennis, and golf.
Average Tuition Fees for Boarding Schools in Pretoria
Boarding schools in Pretoria charge an average tuition fee of R5,000 per term. This price varies depending on the type of school and the location. Private schools, which tend to be more prestigious, charge slightly more than public schools. This amount may vary depending on the school’s location and the grade level of the students. Some boarding schools also charge additional fees, such as for meals and dormitory accommodation.
Boarding schools in Pretoria can provide a high-quality education for children who reside in the Johannesburg Metropolitan Area. These schools have strict academic and behavioral standards and offer an environment that is both nurturing and challenging. The cost of boarding school tuition varies depending on the school, but it is usually quite affordable. If you are considering boarding school for your child, be sure to research thoroughly to find the best fit for them.