Durg University is the largest university in India and has over 100,000 students across 140 countries. Durg University offers a total of 122 undergraduate and 155 postgraduate degree programs to its students through distance education modalities such as online education, open universities, correspondence courses, and teleclasses.
History of Durg University
Durg University was established in the year 1957. Till then, education in the town was limited to religious institutions. The university started with a handful of faculty and a handful of students. It gradually grew and today has 16 faculties, around 8000 students, and over 5000 employees.
Durg University’s origins can be traced back to the establishment of a Collegiate School in Durg in 1907 by Rev G P Sitaramayya, an educationist who had also started an agricultural college at Durg in 1905. Dr. B R Ambedkar, then principal of the school, played an important role in its early days.
Also, Ambedkar drafted the first bill for the establishment of a university at Durg. The college was affiliated with Calcutta University from its inception. In 1957, when the Durg district was upgraded to the university level, the college became Durg University with 23 constituent colleges and emerged as one of the leading universities in Chhattisgarh.
Reasons to Attend Durg University
Durg University is a top-ranked university in India. It offers an excellent education with many opportunities for campus life, research, and engagement with the community. Some of the reasons to attend Durg University are:
- Excellent Academics:
Durg University is one of the best universities in India, offering excellent academics. The faculty is highly qualified and experienced, and the courses are challenging.
- Many Opportunities for Campus Life:
Durg University has a rich campus life with many opportunities for involvement in clubs and societies, sports, and other activities. There are also many opportunities for research and engagement with the community.
- Engaging Environment:
The students at Durg University are engaged and dedicated to their studies and their community. This makes for an engaging environment that encourages creativity and innovation.
- Good Reputation:
Durg University has a great reputation in the region. It has been ranked as one of the best universities in India and many excellent students choose to attend it. The university offers excellent facilities and a great learning environment.
Eligible Requirements to Study at Durg University
If you have dreams of studying in the beautiful city of Durg and want to attend one of the best universities in India, then the requirements you must meet are as follows:
- You must be a citizen of India.
- You must have obtained a valid higher secondary education certificate or its equivalent from an Indian government-recognized institution.
- You should have a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4-point scale.
- You should have taken the General Aptitude Test (GAT) or its equivalent.
- You must also submit an application form and scores from your GAT or other qualifying tests.
Application Process into Durg University
The admission process into Durg University is quite competitive. However, with proper preparation and hard work, students can have a successful application. Applicants must submit an online application and pay the application fee.
Once complete, applicants will need to provide transcripts of their academic records and letters of recommendation. In addition, applicants must take the admissions test and provide additional documentation such as an essay outlining their reasons for wanting to attend Durg University.
These are some of the documents Required for Admission:
- Completed application form
- Original transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Two passport-size photos
- Admission test score (if applicable)
- English Language Proficiency Test Score (if applicable)
- Photocopies of all documents listed above.
What are Some of the Top Programs Offered by Durg University?
Durg University is a top-ranked research university located in the city of Durg, in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in humanities, sciences, commerce, management, and engineering.
Some of the top programs offered by Durg University include:
- The undergraduate program in humanities offers courses in history, philosophy, literature, and religion.
- The undergraduate program in sciences offers courses in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science.
- The postgraduate program in humanities offers courses in medieval studies, art history, Sanskrit drama, and classical musicology.
- The postgraduate program in sciences offers courses in biochemistry, chemistry, physics, zoology, and microbiology.
The university also offers several dual degree programs which allow students to earn a bachelor’s degree from Durg University and a master’s degree from another institution. These dual degree programs include:
- A dual degree in business administration from Bilaspur University.
- A dual degree in engineering with the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surat.
- A dual degree in law from Jain University
What Does it Cost to Attend Durg University?
The cost to attend Durg University can be a bit surprising for some students. The total cost of attendance for the 2017-2018 school year is $42,048. The majority of this cost comes from tuition and fees, with room and board also making up a sizable portion.
Most students will need to take out loans to cover the cost of their education at Durg University. The amount of money that a student needs to borrow will vary depending on their credit score and other financial considerations. Loans typically have variable interest rates, which means that the total cost of borrowing will also fluctuate over time.
Notable Alumni at Durg University
Durg University is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in India. It has a rich history and has produced many eminent alumni, including Nobel laureates. Here are some notable alumni from Durg University:
- Shiv Prasad Mukherjee: a cardiac surgeon who has won several awards for his work, including the Padma Bhushan and the Kirti Chakra.
- Mrinal Pande: An economist who has held several high-ranking positions in the government of India, including the Planning Commission and the Finance Ministry.
- Rajendra Prasad: The first Prime Minister of India, who was also a Nobel laureate in physics.
- Mrinal Kanti Chakrabarti: An author and playwright who has written extensively on Indian culture and politics.
- Satyajit Ray: An acclaimed filmmaker whose films include “Aparajito” and “The Apu Trilogy”.
Other Interesting Contents
- Updated List of Top Medical Colleges in Punjab
- Admission into Calicut University Distance Education
- List of Best MBA Colleges in Delhi to Consider
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many students are enrolled in Durg University?
A: There are currently around 5,000 students enrolled in Durg University.
Q: What are the Admission Requirements for Durg University?
A: There is no specific admission requirement for studying at Durg University; all students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Q: What are the Academic Standards at Durg University?
A: The academic standard at Durg University is very high, and all courses offered by the university are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).