As known, United States of America (USA) remains one of the top-notched choices to study. Many international citizens that wish to study abroad always look forward to study in USA. However, before you can study in USA as a foreigner, you will first need to acquire the America study visa.
The USA study visa is a major requirement to study in America. Also, getting this study visa could be a little complicated. You have nothing to worry about as I’ll guide you on how to get the America study visa, stating the requirements and other checklists.
Before I go straight to the application process for the USA student visa, I want to briefly highlight the type of USA student visa you should know. This will make you know the exact type of USA student visa you’re to apply for.
Types of America study visas
There are three (3) major types of the USA student visas and this includes,
- F1 Student Visa: This type of Visa is recommended for individuals that wish to attain bachelor’s degree or master’s degree. In other words, both college/universities and high school students, that is, graduates and undergraduates can apply for this type of USA study visa.
- J-1 Exchange Visa: This is a is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S.
- M-1 Student Visa: This type of US student visa is for vocational or non-academic student who wish to study in USA in a very short term for career focused purposes. Attending medical training is an example. So if you wish to study abroad for vocational or non-academic purpose, then I advise you apply for the M1 study visa. It’s a bit similar to F1 study visa, but you can see the difference.
Now that you’re aware of the various types of America study visas, the next question rolling through your minds may include how to apply for America study visa? How to pay for the visa application? What are the USA student visa requirements? Don’t worry, I’ll explain all in few sentences.
- How to Apply for Canada Green Card Lottery
- How to Apply for Australian Visa Lottery
- How to Become a Canadian Citizen in easy steps
How to Apply for USA Study Visa
Before you apply for the America student visa, there are some requirements you need to get ready. So, these are the major checklists;
- Your international passport is a major requirement. Your passport must be valid at least 6months beyond the end date of your program. So, if you’ve got a passport, check how long it remains valid alongside the time-length of the program. If it’s less, then you’re advised to apply for a new passport.
- A passport photograph is also required. This would eventually become your visa photograph to be submitted during application.
Once you have the above requirements, then you can;
- Apply for an SEVP-approved institution. What this means is that, the institution you applying for is already approved by US governments’ Student and Exchange Visitors Program. This is made so, as accredited institution to be recognized by professionals, employers, government ministries and companies worldwide. Once you’ve passed this process, then you can move to the next step
- After being admitted in the school of choice, you will need to receive the Form 1-20 or Form DS-2019 from the school. These are different forms, for applicants under F1 and M1 student visa type; you should receive the Form 1-20. While individuals that fall under the J-1 exchange visa program should receive the Form DS-2019. On the form, you will see every important detail including your SEVIS ID, school address and other important information related to your program.
- Now that you’ve received your form, the next step to take is to go online to make payment for the I-901 SEVIS fee. Now the fee amount depends on which student visa type you going for. The I-901 SEVIS fee for F1 and M1 study visa applicants goes for $200 and $180 for J-1 exchange students. Once you make payment online, then you’ll need to print out the confirmation page.
- After this, you need to complete the Form DS-160 It’s an online non-immigrant visa application. To fill the form, you need the below checklist;
- Your international passport
- Passport photograph
- Form 1-20 or Form DS-2019 (this depends on the type of visa you filled in form at first; remember I detailed you on step 2).
- A resume or CV if necessary and any other additional information. Feel free to visit their official FAQ page.
- Once you’re done with the above process, then print out the confirmation page, locate your nearest US embassy to schedule for your visa interview.
- After visa interview, you can make payment for visa application. Usually, it costs $160. Note that in some country, you’re instructed to pay for visa application fee before the visa interview, so visit your embassy so they guide you on what to do.
- During interview, you’re required to present the original copy of the Form 1-20 or Form DS-2019, the confirmation print out page of Form DS-160, also confirmation page of the I-901 SEVIS fee, visa application fee payment receipt, international passport and also passport photograph.
- After the interview, you do your biometric verification and other related security check
- Once you follow every above procedure, then you should be granted the America study visa.
During the interview process, you’ll be asked series of questions related to your study abroad, why you want to study abroad and so on. Don’t forget to tell them that you don’t intend to remain in the states after your period of study. However, after your program and you desire to work in USA, then you’ll need to apply for the USA work visa.