IGNOU is an excellent university for students who are looking for a quality education without having to leave their home country. It offers a variety of courses, from arts and humanities to business and law, at both undergraduate and graduate levels. With online learning options available, IGNOU makes it easy for students to get the education they need no matter where they are in the world.
Benefits of Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Quality Education:
At IGNOU, you can be sure that you’re getting a high-quality education. All of their courses are accredited by various accreditation bodies, and they have received praise for their ability to produce graduates who are well-equipped to succeed in the workforce.
- Flexible Course Options:
IGNOU offers a wide range of course options, so you can find one that’s right for you. Whether you’re looking for a traditional academic degree or something more vocational, they’ve got you covered.
- Cost Effective:
One of the great things about IGNOU is that it’s cost-effective. While some universities can be quite expensive, IGNOU is relatively affordable. This means that even if you don’t have much money to spare, you can still attend this university and get the education that you need.
- Wide Range of Courses:
IGNOU offers courses in a wide range of areas, from humanities to sciences. This means that you can find the course that interests you and enroll without having to worry about what it will require from you.
- Strong Teaching Staff:
IGNOU employs some of the best teachers in India, who are passionate about their work and want to pass on their expertise to students. They will help you to develop as an individual and learn how to think critically.
- Research Opportunities:
At IGNOU, you have the opportunity to participate in research projects that are both challenging and rewarding. You will be able to learn new skills while developing your knowledge base and career prospects.
History of Indira Gandhi National Open University
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is a public university in India, established on 29 January 1964 by Indira Gandhi, the first Prime Minister of India. IGNOU offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in several disciplines. It has campuses in New Delhi and Mumbai. The university was ranked 151st in the world by the 2018-19 QS World University Rankings.
IGNOU was founded on 29 January 1964, by Indira Gandhi, who became the first prime minister of India. The university started functioning from temporary quarters at 7 Jerusalem Avenue, New Delhi. Initially, it offered only undergraduate programs but subsequently expanded its offerings to postgraduate levels as well. IGNOU has two campuses: one in New Delhi and another in Mumbai. In 2013–14, it had an enrolment of over 321,000 students representing all states and union territories of India.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2019 placed IGNOU 151st in the world rankings. Factors that contributed to this ranking were its strong faculties with high research activity, a wide range of courses offered across faculties and departments as well as good employability outcomes for graduates.
Eligible Requirements for Admission into Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Be a citizen of India
- Have completed high school or its equivalent
- Have passed the highest level of secondary education in India
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have no criminal record
Undergraduate Courses Offered at Indira Gandhi National Open University
List of undergraduate courses offered at Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU):
- Political Science
- English Language and Literature
- Hindi Language and Literature
- History of Art
- Indian Musicology
- Religious Studies, etc.
Postgraduate Courses Offered at Indira Gandhi National Open University
At Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), there are a variety of courses that can be taken to further your education. The following is a list of postgraduate courses offered at IGNOU:
- MA in English Language and Literature
- MA in Creative Writing
- MA in Political Science
- MA in Education
- MA in Mass Communication
- MA in Sociology
- Master of Development Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctorate in Educational Leadership
Application Process into Indira Gandhi National Open University
- First, you need to create an account with the website if you haven’t already done so. Once you have registered, you will be able to access all the necessary information about the application process.
- Next, you will need to gather all the required documents for your application. This includes your transcripts from all the universities that you have attended, a resume/CV, and a writing sample if you have one.
- You will then need to take these documents to your nearest branch of SBI or any other nationalized bank and make a deposit of Rs 2500/- to apply for an IGNOU student visa. You will also need a passport-size photograph and proof of vaccination against meningitis (if applicable).
- After completing all the steps mentioned above, it is now time to start applying! The online application system is user-friendly and easy to follow, so don’t worry if you are new to online applications. All the required information can be found on the website under the “Application Process” tab.
Notable Alumni at Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Former Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi
- Former Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister of India, P Chidambaram
- Shashi Tharoor – Member of the Indian Parliament and former Under-Secretary-General at the United Nations
- Jyoti Basu – Former Chief Minister of West Bengal and member of the Indian Parliament
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the admission requirements for IGNOU?
A: There is no specific admission requirement for studying at IGNOU, but students must have a high school diploma or equivalent qualification. In addition, students must pass an entrance exam that is conducted annually.
Q: Are there any scholarships available for students at IGNOU?
A: Yes, IGNOU offers several scholarships to talented students. These include scholarships for meritorious academic performance, financial needs, and disabilities.
Q: Do I need to speak English to study at IGNOU?
A: No, English is not a requirement for studying at IGNou, but most courses offered by the institution are in English.