Are you living in Scarborough and looking for a job? Well, look no further! We have scoured the city to bring you some of the best job opportunities available. Whether you’re a recent graduate, seeking a career change, or just starting your professional journey, Scarborough has an abundance of exciting jobs waiting for you. From entry-level positions to management roles and everything in between, there’s something for everyone here.
History of Jobs in Scarborough
The first European settlers in Scarborough were farmers who came to the area in the early 1800s. The main crops grown were wheat and barley. In the mid-1800s, the population of Scarborough increased with the arrival of immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and England. These new settlers also brought with them new ideas about farming. They began growing vegetables and fruits, as well as raising livestock.
The industrial revolution led to a decline in agriculture and an increase in manufacturing jobs in Scarborough. The first factories were built in the 1850s, and by the end of the century, there were over 100 factories in the town. These factories produced a variety of goods, including shoes, clothing, cigars, and soap. Many of the factory workers were women and children.
In the early 1900s, Scarborough’s economy began to diversify. Businesses such as banks, stores, and restaurants opened up in the town. Tourism also became an important industry. By the mid-1900s, Scarborough was a thriving community with a diverse economy.
Today, there is a wide range of jobs available in Scarborough. The town is home to many businesses, including manufacturing companies, retail stores, restaurants, and hotels. There are also several schools and colleges located in Scarborough.
Benefits of Working in Scarborough
- Affordable cost of living
Scarborough is a great place to live for those on a budget. The cost of living in this city is quite affordable, with the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment costing around $1,200 per month. That’s significantly lower than Toronto’s average rent of $2,300 for a one-bedroom apartment. Also, Scarborough has plenty of amenities and activities to keep you entertained.
- Plenty of Job Opportunities
Scarborough is a great place to find a job! There are plenty of opportunities for employment in the area, whether you’re looking for something full-time or part-time. The local economy is strong and growing, so there are always new positions opening up. And with a population of over 600,000, Scarborough has a diverse range of businesses that need workers in all kinds of industries.
- Diverse and Multicultural Community
Scarborough is one of the most ethnically diverse and multicultural municipalities in Canada. According to the 2016 Census, over half (51.5%) of the population identified as a visible minority, with Chinese (19.1%), South Asian (16.2%), Black (9.6%), and Filipino (8.8%) being the largest groups represented. This diversity is reflected in the local food scene, with a wide variety of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores available throughout the city.
- Excellent Public Transit
Scarborough is home to an excellent public transit system, which makes it a great place to live and work. The TTC operates buses, streetcars, and subways in the city, and there is also a GO Train station. This makes it easy to get around Scarborough, whether you’re going to work or just running errands. Also, with the new subway lines currently under construction, the transit system is only getting better.
Tips for Finding Jobs in Scarborough
- Use Job Search Engines: Job search engines are a great way to find jobs in Scarborough. Simply enter your desired job title or keyword into the search engine and you will be presented with a list of available positions.
- Check out Job Boards – Job boards are another excellent resource for finding employment in Scarborough. Many companies post their open positions on job boards to reach a wider audience of potential candidates.
- Utilize Social Media – Social media can be a great tool for finding jobs in Scarborough. Follow companies that you are interested in working for and keep an eye out for any job postings that they may share. Additionally, use LinkedIn to connect with industry professionals who may be able to help you land your dream job.
- Attend Career Fairs – Career fairs are a great opportunity to meet with employers and learn about available positions in Scarborough. Be sure to dress professionally and bring copies of your resume to hand out to potential employers.
- Network, Network, Network! – Get connected with as many people as possible in the Scarborough business community. Attend Chamber of Commerce events, business mixers, and other networking opportunities. You never know when one of your connections may lead to your next great job
Different Jobs in Scarborough
- Retail Sales:
There are many retail stores and malls located in Scarborough, making it a great place to find work in this industry. From clothing stores to toy stores, there are plenty of options for those looking for retail sales jobs.
- Restaurant Work:
Scarborough has several restaurants, cafes, and other food service establishments. This makes it a great place to find work in the food service industry. Whether you’re looking for a job as a waitress or chef, there are plenty of options available in Scarborough.
- Office Work:
Scarborough is home to many businesses and organizations, making it a great place to find office work. From administrative positions to customer service jobs, there are plenty of office-based positions available in the city.
The city is also home to many manufacturing plants and facilities. This makes it a great place to find employment in this industry. From assembly line work to machine operation, there are plenty of manufacturing jobs available in Scarborough.
Administrative Assistant: Administrative assistants provide support to executives and staff members. They may perform tasks such as scheduling appointments, preparing correspondence, and managing files.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the average salary for jobs in Scarborough?
A: The average salary for jobs in Scarborough is $30,000.
Q: What is the job market like in Scarborough?
A: The job market in Scarborough is good. There are plenty of opportunities for those who are willing to look for them.
Q: What are the best places to look for jobs in Scarborough?
A: The best places to look for jobs in Scarborough are online job boards, newspapers, and local businesses.