Malaysia is one of the most attractive study destinations for medical students. It is a middle-income country with excellent public healthcare, one of the best in Asia. Malaysia also has a relatively low cost of living and affordable tuition fees. However, there are some things that you should know about before you make your decision to study MBBS in Malaysia.
History of MBBS in Malaysia
MBBS in Malaysia has a long and rich history. The first medical school in Malaysia was established in 1963, making it one of the oldest medical schools in Asia. MBBS in Malaysia flourished during the British colonial period, with many renowned doctors and surgeons trained in Malaysian institutions.
After independence, MBBS in Malaysia continued to grow, with new medical schools being established across the country. Today, over 20 universities are offering MBBS programs in Malaysia. The Malaysian government is committed to ensuring quality medical education and has invested heavily in infrastructure and resources.
As a result, MBBS students in Malaysia benefit from world-class facilities and teaching staff. They also have the opportunity to gain clinical experience at some of the best hospitals in the region. With its excellent standards of education and training, MBBS in Malaysia is fast becoming a popular destination for international students seeking a top-quality medical education.
Benefits of Studying MBBS in Malaysia
There are many reasons to consider studying MBBS in Malaysia. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Affordable Tuition Fees:
MBBS in Malaysia is compared to other countries, and the tuition fees for MBBS programs in Malaysia are very affordable. This makes it a great option for budget-conscious students.
- English-taught Programs:
Most of the MBBS programs in Malaysia are taught in English, which is the international language of medicine. This makes it easier for students from different backgrounds to study and understand the material.
- Excellent Clinical Facilities:
Malaysia has some of the best clinical facilities in Southeast Asia. This means that students will have access to excellent resources and facilities during their studies.
Experienced Faculty: The faculty members teaching MBBS programs in Malaysia are experienced and well-qualified. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with their students.
- Diverse Student Body:
One of the great things about studying MBBS in Malaysia is the diverse student body that you will be studying with. You will meet students from all over the world, which is a great way to learn about other cultures and make new friends.
Eligible Requirements for Studying MBBS in Malaysia
To be eligible to study MBBS in Malaysia, you must:
- Be a citizen of Malaysia or have Malaysian permanent resident status
- Be aged 17 years or above on the date of application
- Have completed 12 years of formal education (i.e. Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia/SPM or equivalent) with at least 5 credits in relevant subjects, including English, Mathematics, and Science.
- Obtain a minimum score of 60% in the Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) or other recognized equivalent examinations.
- Meet the medical requirements as determined by the Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Possess a valid passport
Application Process for Studying MBBS in Malaysia
The application process for studying MBBS in Malaysia is fairly straightforward. However, there are a few things that you will need to take into account before you begin the process. Here is a brief overview of what you need to do:
- Firstly, you will need to check whether you meet the eligibility criteria for studying MBBS in Malaysia. The criteria vary from university to university, but generally speaking, you will need to have completed 12 years of schooling and have good grades in your SPM/STPM examinations.
- Once you have ascertained that you meet the eligibility criteria, the next step is to obtain the necessary application forms from the Malaysian embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Once you have obtained the application forms, you will need to fill them out and submit them along with all of the required supporting documents (transcripts, results of medical examinations, etc).
- After your application has been processed, you will be informed as to whether or not you have been accepted into a Malaysian medical school. If you have been accepted, then congrats! You’re one step closer to becoming a doctor!
Top Universities to Study MBBS in Malaysia
- Universiti Malaya:
Universiti Malaya is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Malaysia. It is also one of the top-ranked medical schools in the country. The MBBS program at Universiti Malaya is a 6-year course that leads to the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia:
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia is another top university in Malaysia that offers MBBS programs. The MBBS program at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia is a 5-year course that leads to the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- International Medical University:
The International Medical University (IMU) is relatively new, but it has quickly become one of the most popular medical schools in Malaysia. The IMU offers a 4-year MBBS program which leads to the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- International Islamic University Malaysia:
The International Islamic University Malaysia is a leading institution for Muslim students from all over the world. It offers an eight-year MBBS program that is recognized by the Malaysian Medical Council. The university has a spacious campus with excellent facilities, and its teaching staff is very experienced.
- Monash University Malaysia:
Monash University is a world-renowned institution with campuses all over the world. Its Malaysian campus offers a five-year MBBS program that is accredited by the Malaysian Medical Council. Monash University has modern facilities and experienced teaching staff, making it an excellent choice for medical students.
Read also: What No One Tells You About MBBS Full Form
Notable MBBS Alumni in Malaysia
- Siti Hasmah Mohamad Ali was the first Malaysian woman to become a doctor and the wife of Malaysia’s fourth Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad.
- Raja Dato’ Seri Lela Chewan, was the first Malay woman to become a doctor and a member of the Malaysian Parliament.
- Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye is a leading Malaysian businessman and philanthropist who was also formerly the chairman of the Malaysian Medical Association.
- Datuk Dr.Mohd Ismail Merican, a renowned cardiologist and former Director-General of Health in Malaysia.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is the quality of medical education in Malaysia?
A: The quality of medical education in Malaysia is very good. The curriculum is designed to meet international standards and the teaching staff is experienced and qualified.
Q: How much does it cost to study MBBS in Malaysia?
A: The cost of studying MBBS in Malaysia is very affordable. The tuition fees are lower than in many other countries and there are no additional costs such as accommodation or living expenses.
Q: How long does it take to complete the MBBS degree in Malaysia?
A: The duration of the MBBS program in Malaysia is five years. This includes one year of internship, which must be completed at a hospital approved by the Malaysian Medical Council.