Grants Medical College offers a variety of programs for undergraduate and graduate students. With a strong foundation of general education courses, students are prepared to pursue any career they choose. The College also offers four-year degree and professional certificate programs in medical sciences and allied health.
History of Grants Medical College
Grants Medical College (GMC) is one of the premier medical colleges in India. It was established in 1845 by philanthropist Dr. C. V. Raman along with his wife, Dr. Nandini Raman. The college initially operated from rented premises in Chennai and started with a student population of 80.
The Raman family’s generosity helped the college grow rapidly and by 1956, it had relocated to its present campus in Coimbatore. In 1975, the college became affiliated with the Tamil Nadu University and began offering post-graduate courses. The college has since expanded its curriculum to include medical specialties such as pediatrics, neurosurgery, vascular surgery, and obstetrics & gynecology.
Today, Grants Medical College is one of the largest medical institutions in South India and offers a full range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in medicine. It has a current student population of over 1,100 students and employs more than 100 faculty members.
Benefits of Studying at Grants Medical College
There are many benefits to studying at Grants Medical College, one of the top medical schools in the country. Here are just a few of the reasons why students choose to study here:
- Our curriculum is designed to give students a well-rounded education in all aspects of medicine.
- We have a strong focus on hands-on learning, so students can get real-world experience before they graduate.
- We offer a wide range of extracurricular activities and clubs, so students can explore their interests outside of class.
- Our campus is located in the heart of Boston, one of the world’s most vibrant cities.
- We have a diverse student body, so students can learn from their peers from all over the world.
- We offer competitive scholarships and financial aid packages, so students can afford to attend our school.
- Our faculty is comprised of some of the best medical minds in the country, so students can learn from the best in the field.
Eligible Criteria for Admission into Grants Medical College
- Have completed high school or equivalent
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Submit an official transcript from their high school or equivalent institution
- Submit an essay explaining their motivation for wanting to pursue a career in medicine
Undergraduate Courses Offered in Grants Medical College
The undergraduate courses offered at Grants Medical College are some of the most comprehensive and affordable in the country. With a wide variety of majors to choose from, students can find a course of study that fits their unique interests and goals.
Whether you’re interested in studying medicine, nursing, or another health-related field, Grants Medical College has an undergraduate program for you. We offer a variety of degree options, so you can tailor your education to your specific career goals.
Here are just a few of the undergraduate courses offered at Grants Medical College:
- Biology: This course introduces students to the basic principles of biology and prepares them for further study in the health sciences.
- Chemistry: Students taking this course will learn about the fundamental principles of chemistry and how they apply them to the practice of medicine.
- Physics: This course covers the basic principles of physics and helps students understand how these concepts apply to the field of medicine.
- English: Students taking this course will develop their writing and communication skills, which are essential for success in any medical career.
Postgraduate Courses Offered in Grants Medical College
There is a range of postgraduate courses offered at Grants Medical College, from medical and surgical specialties to research degrees. Below is a selection of the most popular courses:
- Masters in Medicine: This two-year course is designed for those who wish to pursue a career in medicine. It covers all aspects of medical science, including anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and pathology.
- Masters in Surgery: This two-year course is perfect for those wishing to pursue a career in surgery. It covers all aspects of surgical training, including clinical rotations in various specialties.
- Doctor of Medicine: This four-year course is the highest level of medical training available at Grants Medical College. It covers all aspects of medicine, from basic sciences to advanced clinical skills.
- D. in Medical Research: This three-year course is designed for those wishing to pursue a career in medical research. It covers all aspects of medical research, from methodology to funding and ethics.
Application Process into Grants Medical College
The process for applying to Grants Medical College is pretty simple. All you need to do is apply through the school’s website. The school will then review your application and make a decision based on your qualifications.
If you are accepted into Grants Medical College, you will be required to complete a few medical examinations and submit your transcripts. Once you have completed all of the requirements, you will be able to start classes at the college.
Notable Alumni at Grants Medical College
- B.R. Ambedkar:
Dr. Ambedkar was an Indian politician and leader of the Untouchable community who played a critical role in the country’s independence movement. He is also considered to be the architect of the modern Indian Constitution. After graduating from Grant’s Medical College, Ambedkar worked as a doctor in rural areas before becoming involved in politics full-time.
- Aravind Eye Foundation:
Dr. Aravind Eye Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides free eye care services to people living in poverty across India. The foundation was founded by Dr. Aravind Eye Care Specialist and Professor at Grant’s Medical College, Dr. Ravi Duggal, in 2001. As of 2016, the foundation had treated over 2 million patients and provided over 1 million free eye surgeries worldwide!
- Shane Warne:
Shane Warne is a retired Australian cricketer who is widely regarded as one of the greatest all-time bowlers in world cricket history. Warne attended Grants Medical School before turning professional with Hampshire County Cricket Club in 1992.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is the best time to apply to Grants Medical College?
A: The deadline for applications is January 15th. However, admissions decisions are not made until late March or early April. This means that if you apply early, you may have a decision before students who applied closer to the deadline.
Q: How long does it take to complete the program at Grants Medical College?
A: The average length of time it takes to complete the program at Grants Medical College is four years. However, this may vary depending on a student’s circumstances. Some students may be able to complete the program in less time, while others may need more time.